Do not use disabled people as your exercise motivation
Do not use disabled people as your “weight loss” motivation
Do not use disabled people as your inspirational message
or thought for the day
Believe it or not we are complex and emotional human beings who deserve more respect than to have our bodies dehumanized and used as fodder for your inspiration machine
My Disabled body does not exist for your self-guilt
My Disabled body does not exist for your revulsion
My Disabled body does not exist for your profit or pleasure
My Disabled body does not exist as proof of your ability
My Disabled body does not exist as a yard stick for your own body
STOP DEHUMANIZING DISABLED BODIES SO THAT YOU CAN BE “INSPIRED” TO HATE YOURSELF ENOUGH TO CONFORM TO SOCIETY’S FUCKED UP BODY STANDARDS.
Do not use disabled people as your motivation
Our bodies are worth more respect than that, and quite frankly, so is yours.
friendly reminder that:
- you are not weak if you want meds for your disorder
- you are not weak if you relapse once
- you are not weak if you relapse a thousand times
- you are not weak if some kinds of therapy don’t work for you
- you are not weak if some kinds of meds don’t work for you
- you are not weak if you have a mental disorder.
there’s a lot of elitism in “bookworm” culture
like you’re basically worthless if you don’t like to read and this weird little culture kind of ignores that some people really struggle with reading/can’t read at all
- not everybody has access to books. there was a study done that showed 1 book per every 300 low income children. books cost money. books cost time. reading isn’t going to be a priority if you’re low on these two resources.
- learning disabilities are a thing that exist. i used to love to read when i was a kid, before I developed a mental illness that sometimes functions as a learning disability and makes it so difficult to read books that it often frustrates me to the point of tears and i’ve finished probably one whole book in the past 2 years. many, many learning disabilities specifically affect reading, and you don’t know just by looking at someone whether they have one of these disabilities.
- people learn in different ways. you might be really good at grammar (whoopdefuckindoo) and somebody else might spend all their time watching the news and know everything about current events. maybe that person you think is “stupid” because they said they didn’t like reading is an amazing artist. maybe you suck at art. you never know
Text on a white background. “AUTISTIC” is at the top in rainbow colors, followed by “is not a dirty word” in black text of the same size. Below in smaller text is “April is autism acceptance month” with an Autistic Self Advocacy Network logo at the bottom right.
can we please not perpetuate the moonmoon meme
it’s very problematic in its usage and it’s essentially a thinly veiled substitution for the r-word and it’s ableist as hell
~not treating my autism like a tragedy doesn’t mean it never causes me problems or difficulties~
~being positive about autism isn’t the same as treating it like a “personality quirk”~
~autistic people being happy to be autistic isn’t “romanticizing mental disorders”~
If you mock people for self diagnosing than you are most likely a classist piece of shit that needs to check your god damn privilege. Not everyone has insurance and getting diagnosed is fucking expensive without it. Some people don’t even have the transportation to get to a doctor’s office. Even then some doctors can be wrong about what you may have and there are still a lot of them that do not take mental illnesses seriously. They may even deny letting you have the proper medication or treatment if you don’t have insurance. Also, who are you to say that we don’t know ourselves enough to know what’s wrong with us?
I will say this that there’s nothing wrong with going to the doctor, especially if you need medication or if you want clarification from them. But there’s a lot of people that do not trust them and you know what? A lot of those reasons are very valid.
I can certainly understand telling off the assholes who make posts like this, “LOL I JUST ARRANGED MY MOVIES ALPHABETICALLY. I MUST HAVE OCD OR SOMETHING LAWL.” or just anyone who jokes about wanting to “slit their wrists” or “hang themselves” just because they watched a bad movie or they met someone they didn’t like or something. Because that shit is fucking ableist and insensitive and it needs to stop.
But if someone is concerned about their own mental health, but don’t have access to insurance, so they look online for answers and diagnosis themselves as having a mental illness or mental disorder and what you do is get angry at them. And pretty much tell them, “WTF is wrong with you? Why don’t you go visit a doctor and get officially diagnosed already?” Then guess what? You are a fucking asshole and I sincerely hope you step on a lego.
Background is a pale Autism Speaks puzzle piece with the “No” or “Not allowed” circle and strikethrough. The text reads:
Autism $peaks has ZERO autistic leaders
Autistic Self Advocacy Network: 100% autistic leadership
Self Advocates Becoming Empowered: 100% leadership with intellectual or developmental disabilities
National Down Syndrome Society: 7 leaders with Down Syndrome
Autism Society of America: 5 autistic leaders
Autism $peaks: ZERO autistic leaders
i mean hell Lady Gaga does way more fucked up shit than Ke$ha and she gets half as much crap for it
belitting trans people
imperialist, racist shit
all on a regular basis
Ke$ha is a fucking angel compared to Lady Gaga