[TW: talking about Domestic Violence]
‘Scuse me? Why the fuck are these white entertainers suddenly surging up to speak up against Chris Brown? And what is this fake tumblr ‘justice’ all of the sudden?
Why are you chastising the entire black community for forgiving him when
- YOU, white people, are the ones who run the majority of major media networks. It is YOUR ASS that is granting access and booking him
- PoC have been collecting Chris Brown’s ass. Yes they have. And you have been basking in the opportunity and taking full advantage of the situation to paint black people as perpetual domestic violence offenders.
- Who is fuck are you to say THE ENTIRE community forgave him…. You’ve spoken to every dark-skinned PoC ever and have come to this conclusion? Or only the ones that benefit your half-asses argument?
Why is it that when one asshole does something, it is reflective of the entire black community? Yet, you never, ever, everrrr come and collect your folks because- hey that one white person is autonomous and doesn’t speak for the entire group.
And in your haste to scandalize the black community, under the pretense of caring for Rihanna, you forget that Rihanna has asked people to stop re-telling the account of her attack. And let’s not forget that when how Seth Rogen referred to her attack as getting “the shit beat” out of her…. because when you genuinely care about a survivor, you refer to their attack as that one time they got the shit beaten out of them.
So let me remind you of a small number of folks (because there are so, so many more) you have yet to collect and who you have so graciously spared and let back into the entertainment circle:
[Oh, I am also including white people from overseas who work in America, because ya’ll let them slide, but do the opposite for PoC from abroad]
- Gary Oldman
- Sean Penn
- Nicolas Cage
- Mel fucking Gibson
- Michael Fassbender
- Mark Walhberg
- Charlie Sheen
- Rodney Atkins
- Bryan Abrams
- Hulk Hogan (people aren’t even entertaining the thought that he could have hit his ex-wife)
- Billy Bob Thornton
- Axl Rose
- Steve Austin
- Bill Murray (and he harassed Lucy Liu on the set of Charlie’s Angel, but HEY no one seems to remember or talk about that.)
If you are going to campaign against Domestic Violence/ Violence against women make sure you aren’t re-victimizing a survivor, using a survivor’s story without their consent, or doing a racialized campaign that only paints a groups as violent and diverges the focus from a positive anti-violence one, to a racist one.